Home Forums Photography Techniques Video versus Still Photography

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #8043 |

This is sort of a test post, but I’m still curious – what do you think are the main differences between doing video versus still photography? I’ve been doing a lot of close-up, indoor video, mainly interviews of people. It seems like a lot of the principles are the same – don’t include too much extraneous background, use the one-thirds principle, good lighting, etc. But is there anything _special_ about video?

Puska
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,
    While I only dabble in videography, I imagine many of the principles in still photography apply to video. There may be a couple of exceptions. First, video is often viewed on a TV or computer monitor and, IMHO, looks silly in a vertical format. With the ubiquity of smart phones, I noticed people regularly shoot vertical videos because it’s easy enough to rotate the phone for viewing. But doing anything for presentation on a large screen really needs to be horizontal. Also, since video includes motion, transition between scenes and perspectives must be accounted for in the composition. In still work, there is only one perspective for each shot. On the whole, I believe creating good videos requires more planning, but the basic principles of composition remain the same.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.